VK6RMR Proposal - Thoughts and Notes
Update: have put this on the back burner for a few months due to many other commitments..
Plan of Action
- to complete my go box construction. To include a Raspberry Pi.
- to set it up to operate IRLP on the VK6RBN frequencies (rev).
- to set up a separate 70cm AllStar system.
To erect a repeater station on a 20m mast 3/4's up a north facing hill in Prevelly in Margaret River. I am open to all sorts of ideas.
Initial Radio Configurations Being Looked At
A cross band repeater with a single RxTx 70cm frequency linked directly via 2m to VK6RBN Busselton.
An IRLP interface.
An AllStar node.
A D-STAR node.
The aim is to be able to use a hand held in the local area to link into the south west repeater system and beyond.
- IRLP - will definitely look at - WIA Amateur Radio 2020 01.
- AllStar - yes. Echo link is a possibility.
- D-STAR node - yes.
- APRS is a possibility.
- C4FM, Fusion, WIRES etc. - will look at.
- DMR - will look at.
- KiwiSDR - putting up an inverted V - yes.
- SDRplay DUO - putting up dipoles - a possibility.
|2m / 70cm||Diamond X-300M x 2||vertical stacked, guyed||Installation Instructions|
|2m & 70cm||Yaesu FT-8900R||Using cross band repeater mode||Manual, Brochure, Video|
- placed on 60' tower in the bush to the east of the house - amongst the trees and with black, brown, grey (metal) and green paint and bits of dead wood sticking out.
- repeater with a single 70CM frequency and connecting directly into VK6RBN on 2m.
- solar powered with batteries.
- Raspberry Pi mini computers. I have extensive SW and HW experience working with this device, similar devices and embedded devices in general.
- Possibly using an openSPOT V1 if it can be linked either via analogue MR end as a D-STAR node - I'm a newbie there.
- and I may shove cameras on the top - depends on the available power.
- the system will be linked to the house LAN via a microwave dish LAN extender.
will need to look at frequencies, modes of operation including cross mode operation.
- we get very strong winter storm winds from the west - the roaring 40's move up here.
- the cables will need to come down in the center of the mast?
- it will have to be parrot proof.
- the cabinets will have to be critter and weather proof. However I can keep an eye on them. They can be mounted on the side of the tower.
- the tower guys will have to be set up such that the kangaroos don't go crashing into them and so that they don't go near the firebreaks.
- the antenna guys can go to the horizontal poles and the tower.
- the tackle for hauling up the HF antennas will also have to be in place.
- need to look at placing the digital equipment in the house and linking to the tower via analogue.
Inaugural Meeting of the VK6RMR Repeater Group 27-01-20
Present - VK6AXB Anthony, VK6SO Phil, VK6PAL Shaun, VK6FTT Tom, VK6TM Kim.
- location of new tower position determined.
- basic equipment list determined - will need to be fleshed out.
- work that needs to be done determined - will need to be fleshed out. A lot of hard yakka.
- initial configuration - analogue cross band repeater. Solar powered.
- the digital side added on at a later date.